Wednesday 25 January 2017

Manaiakalani Orientation Day - my first blog!

This is my first blog for the year, 2017...wait, hold up, it's my first blog EVERRRR!

I wanted to start blogging regularly and properly as a teacher within the Manaiakalani family seeing as the learners in front of me are expected to blog so here I am, giving it ago.

A bit of background about myself.  I have been teaching at Tamaki College for (wait for it) over 17 years!! What a journey it has been.  If I had to write a novel for every adventure I'd had whilst at Tamaki, I'd be a millionaire (that's saying people would by my books of course).  The teaching journey has been exciting and being part of the shift from paper and pen to one to one digital teaching and learning has been like taking a rocky pathway and slowly smoothing the way.

This year, I will be one of 4 Community of Learner (CoLs) 'within schools' teachers at our school, who will work alongside our staff with various programmes and initiatives.  As part of the CoL's, we needed to attend the Manaiakalani orientation day which gave us an overview of the programme.  To be honest I needed a refresher and as Dorothy said 'what do you say when someone asks you what is all of this Manaiakalani programme about??' (side thought: why not get all of our staff to have a day like this at the beginning of the year?).

After the first session talking about the WHO we are, I was amazed at the amount of people and groups invested in the programme, invested in us!  It made me realise how important of all this was especially for our kids.  The rest of day was really refreshing and it was awesome to hear all of the exciting stuff that goes on behind the scenes too, the opportunities that staff have available and the ability to create connections in and between schools.  Bring on 2017!!!

(The naughty ones always sit at the back!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Interview 2024: Questions 2 - 6

2. What learnings from the 2017 - 2023 CoL teacher inquiries have informed or inspired your thinking. In no particular order.   Karen’s inno...